Principal Software Engineer
We are a software engineering consultancy that believes in doing the simple things well - clean code, testing, autonomy, zero lock-down, control over your tools and practical, agile processes. We care deeply about what we do and how we do it.
As a Principal Software Engineer you will lead the design and development of the next generation of digital products and solutions for our customers. You will spend the majority of your time writing code, contributing to our overarching culture of engineering excellence, and nurturing your fellow team members.
In return, we can offer varied, challenging work in a supportive environment - one where you have every opportunity to grow as an engineer through world-class training and regular attendance at software conferences.
Here at Instil we have an amazing work culture which stems from the top down, our leadership team are huge advocates of having a strong work-life balance. What this means is, as with all of our employees you will be given complete flexibility and autonomy to structure your day that allows you to be most productive.
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus
- Remote / Hybrid - your choice!
- Flexible working hours
- Summer working hours to include a 4.5 day week
- 35 days holiday
- Pension (8% employer, 5% employee)
- Private medical (Vitality & Westfield)
- Life assurance
- MacBook Pro
- £1000 hardware budget
- Retailer discounts (Apple & Bose)
- Cycle to work scheme
Day to day:
- Design, architect and deliver a wide range of robust, resilient software solutions into production.
- Lead a team of engineers in the development of great software solutions.
- Work across a range of front and backend technologies (Kotlin, C#, AWS etc) in a highly supportive work environment.
- Develop and write great code on a daily basis, leading by example.
- Research, evaluate and implement new technologies that help improve how we work.
- Proactively contribute to a team culture that values quality, robustness and knowledge sharing.
- Mentor more junior staff and peers.
Need to have
- Ideally, a minimum of 7 years experience in the software industry.
- Exceptional understanding of coding principles, from functional to OO, clean coding to testing, etc.
- Expertise in Java, Kotlin, C# or similar HLL.
- Experience with industry frameworks and libraries (e.g. Spring, .NET Core, React, etc).
- Experience of agile processes - planning, grooming, demo, retro, story points, burndown, etc.
- Evidence of taking a leadership role in a technical team to deliver software to market.
- Excellent understanding of emerging technologies and practices.
- A keen eye for detail and quality which should be reflected in your outputs.
- Excellent academic qualifications and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Eligible to live and work in the UK
Nice to have:
- Experience developing mobile apps (Kotlin / Swift), or web applications (Angular / React).
- Experience developing cloud native and serverless system (Azure / GCP / AWS).
- Evidence of contribution to a personal or open source project.
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Client facing experience.