Senior Software Engineer
Instil is a software engineering consultancy that believes in doing the simple things well - clean code, testing, autonomy, zero lock-down, control over your tools and practical, agile processes. We care deeply about what we do and how we do it.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will play a lead role in the design and development of the next generation of digital products and solutions. You will spend the majority of your time writing code, contributing to our overarching culture of engineering excellence, and nurturing your fellow team members.
In return, we can offer varied, challenging work in a supportive environment - one where you have every opportunity to grow as an engineer through world-class training and regular attendance at software conferences.
Here at Instil we have an amazing work culture which stems from the top down, our leadership team are huge advocates of having a strong work-life balance. What this means is, as with all of our employees you will be given complete flexibility and autonomy to structure your day that allows you to be most productive.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus
- Remote / Hybrid - your choice!
- Flexible working hours
- Summer working hours to include a 4.5 day week
- 35 days holiday
- Pension (8% employer, 5% employee)
- Private medical (Vitality & Westfield)
- Life assurance
- MacBook Pro
- £1000 hardware budget
- Retailer discounts (Apple & Bose)
- Cycle to work scheme
Day to day:
- Lead the design and delivery of a wide range of cloud and mobile projects into production.
- Work across a range of front and backend technologies (Typescript, React, AWS etc) in a highly supportive work environment.
- Mentor and support other engineers and peers.
- Develop and write great code on a daily basis, leading by example.
- Research, evaluate and implement new technologies that help improve how we work.
- Proactively contribute to a team culture that values quality, robustness and knowledge sharing.
Need to have:
- A minimum of 4 years experience in the software industry.
- Exceptional understanding of coding principles, from functional to OO, clean coding to testing, etc.
- Expertise in Java, Kotlin, Typescript, C# or similar HLL.
- A keen eye for detail and quality which should be reflected in your outputs.
- Excellent understanding of emerging technologies and engineering best practices.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Eligible to live and work in the UK.
Nice to have:
- Completed a degree or post-graduate qualification in computer science or software engineering.
- Experience developing SPA, cloud and/or Serverless applications (React / Angular / AWS / Azure / GCP).
- An excellent understanding of Agile development concepts (clean code, automated testing, CI, etc).
- Evidence of taking a leadership role in a technical team to deliver software to market.
- Evidence of contribution to a personal or open source project.
- Experience of agile processes - planning, grooming, demo, retro, story points, burndown, etc.
- Client facing experience.